Best Ceiling Fan Reviews - Top Buyer Rated Ceiling Fans for Home Use
Thanks for taking the time to read our reviews on the best ceiling fans for home use. The main purpose of a ceiling fan is to help keep a room cool without the need for an expensive air conditioning system.
Even if you have an air conditioning system, then you can stop using it as much, and use the ceiling fan instead, as they are much cheaper to run.
Now it is really important to understand that fans of this type will not actually lower the temperature in a room. Ceiling fans work on the same principle as any other fan. They create a breeze which can then circulate air, and it is that circulation of air that helps cool you down.
An air conditioning unit pulls the air in, cools it down, and then circulates it again. Fans don't do that as their only purpose is to circulate the air in a room and not make it feel as stifling.
Ceiling fans are a great deal cheaper to buy than air conditioning installation and are also a lot cheaper to maintain and to run. With so many different styles available, they can also add nicely to the décor of a room.
Below I have completed a quick ceiling fan buying guide and below that is a Top 10 Comparison Table of the best ones available right now. Underneath that I have completed a short review on each of those.
Ceiling Fan Buying Guide
One thing to keep in mind when shopping for a new ceiling fan is that you need to be aware of the size of the room in your house, where it will be fitted. Many people overlook this part of the fan buying experience, and end up purchasing a fan that is either too big or too small for the space that it needs to help ventilate.
To measure a room just multiply the length and breadth of a room to get the square foot size. For example a room that is 12 feet x 12 feet should be 144 square feet. The fan features should state what size of a room it has been designed to work in as you will see in the table below.
All ceiling fans work by spinning a set of blades around at speed. Where you have spinning blades, they come with the risk of someone getting caught in the blades.
It is obvious to say therefore that the fan needs to be high enough to prevent the blades catching anyone on the top of the head. However if you have a home with very high ceilings then fitting a ceiling fan will be pretty useless, and a waste of your money
The ideal ceiling height to get the best performance from a ceiling fan is considered to be between 2.2 - 2.4 metres.
One option, if you have high ceilings, is to fit what are called extension or down rods. Once those are fitted then you can easily lower the height of the fan.
Decor and Reversible Blades
You are always going to need a fan that actually suits the décor of the room in your home, where you plan to have the fan installed.
Most ceiling fans come with a light, and most of them have either pull strings to switch them on and off, or will work off a remote control. One pull string will work the light, and the other will switch the fan on and off, or allow you to change the speeds.
The actual ceiling fan can be made of different types of wood, different styles of chrome, brass and other materials. Many of these come come with light fittings and lighting bowls as well.
You will find the most popular have five blades which will create more air than the 3 blade versions.
Most ceiling fans use some form of wood for the blades such as plywood. You can get some that use steel or aluminium so please be aware that they will be more dangerous than a wooden blade. Some blades are also made of plastic.
Metal blades will last a great deal longer, but they will make the fan more expensive.
Some of the cheaper models use plastic blades. At the end of the day they spin and circulate air and there is not a great deal of difference in the amount of air that the blades will shift.
The most popular size of blade is the 52" blade. You can buy these in different sizes, and in simple terms, the bigger the blade the more air the fan can shift around.
With some fans there is a reversible function. Ceiling fans in normal use spin around and circulate air in the room. If the fan has a reversible motor function, then it will draw hot air upwards in a room.
That can be useful in the winter or in cold evenings as it helps circulate warm air around your room. In essence it will make the hot air rise.
Mainly the controls on ceiling fans are done by a pull switch and this usually handles on/off, and the speed settings.
Many of the better quality ones will come with a remote controlled unit to make your life that little bit easier. In other words you can sit in the comfort of your chair, and control the fan by pushing a few buttons.
Ceiling Fan Installation
When considering a ceiling fan for your home, it’s important that you hire a professional electrician to ensure that the fan is installed correctly. If you are good at DIY, then this is not too hard to do. However if in any doubt get a professional in rather than take any risks.
These do need to be wired properly and also securely attached to the ceiling.
Ceiling fans can save you money on utility costs. By installing a ceiling fan it can also add a decorative appeal to any room. Ceiling fans can enhance your room's current aesthetics and can also serve as additional lighting.
Top 10 Pedestal Fans by Buyer Rating
We researched and tested several units, and these are our ten favorites. They excelled in two important areas — they represent very good value for money, and they also get very good ratings by actual buyers.
We have also tried to hit on a price point for everyone — ranging from as low as $55 for our top choice, all the way up to $140 if you’re looking for a more sophisticated fan, with a better design and better features
Top 10 Ceiling Fan Comparison Chart*These are average prices and may not always be current and accurate. These change frequently based on availability, special promotions, and more. Please be sure to double-check the actual price wherever you make your purchase. Please also note that the ratings used are average ratingd and are based out of a maximum score of 5 stars. These can also change so make sure to check at the time of purchase
Ceiling Fan Name
Hunter 52090 Watson 34"
Small room or office
Monte Carlo Maverick 60"
Patio & damp locations and 20 x 20 feet rooms
Harbor Breeze Mazon 44"
Small room up to 100 square feet
Hunter 53091 Builder Deluxe 52"
Large rooms up to 485 sq. feet
Hunter 53237 Builder Plus 52"
Large rooms up to 485 sq. feet
Honeywell Sabal Palm 52"
Rooms around 350-450 square feet
Portage Bay 50251 Hugger 52"
Rooms up to 400 square feet
Hunter 59244 Dempsey 44"
Small rooms or low ceilings
Westinghouse Comet 52"
Rooms up to 400 square feet
Minka-Aire Light Wave 52"
Large rooms up to 485 sq. feet
Home Ceiling Fan Summary Reviews
No 1 Choice - Hunter 52090 Watson 34" Ceiling Fan
This is a regular and popular seller online ans is one of many from the Hunter company. As you can see this fan attracts a lot of high ratings and super reviews. It is also one of the most affordable ceiling fans on the market at under $100.
Like many of the Hunter models, you can install this one with or without the light. It has walnut colored blades and that is a nice warm color choice for many buyers.
The speed is adjusted by the cord and there is a switch for reversing the direction. It is very simple to install. It is also very quiet. This one looks as if it should cost a great deal more than it does. These work great in rooms like halls and bedrooms.
- This is an extremely quiet fan
- It has a reversible motor allows you to change the direction of your fan from downdraft mode during the summer to updraft mode during the winter
- It has 5 Cabin Home / Walnut Reversible blades included
- Comes with 3" and 2" down rods included to ensure proper distance from the ceiling
No 2 Choice - Monte Carlo 3MAVR60BK Maverick Ceiling Fan with Remote, 60-inch, Matte Black with Dark Walnut Blades
This is one of the most expensive ceiling fans and people buy this one because of the great style, and the fact that it has large 60" blades. This one can also be bought with 70", 88" and even 99" blades. This one can work with Alexa, though you will also need to buy a bond hub.
This ceiling fan is designed to be used in patio and other damp locations.
- Has a very quiet DC motor
- Comes with an energy efficient 6 speed reversible motor.
- The motor and blades are very well balanced which ensures a wobble-free operation
- The blades are hand carved
- Can be used indoors or outdoors
- Comes with a hand-held remote
- Available in brushed steel or matte black housing finish.
No 3 Choice - Harbor Breeze Mazon 44-in Brushed Nickel Flush Mount Indoor Ceiling Fan with Light Kit and Remote
This is priced at around $110-125 depending on where you purchase it. This one can also be bought with 42" and 52" blades. This one is a very contemporary style fan designed for modern homes.
The Mazon fan is ideal for small room applications and is designed to complement today’s décor trends.
- Comes in a brushed nickel finish
- Comes with a 44" down rod
- 3 reversible blades
- Comes with a silver light kit
- This is a flush mount ceiling fan
- 3 speeds and does have reverse air flow
- CFM rating is 4545
- Does have remote control
- Please note you can dim using the remote but not suitable for a dimmer switch
- The light is also an LED but it is NOT replaceable
No 4 Choice - Hunter 53091 Builder Deluxe 5-Blade Single Light Ceiling Fan with Brazilian Cherry/Stained Oak Blades and Piped Toffee Glass Light Bowl, 52-Inch,
This is another option from the Hunter brand. Like many this is priced at around $110-125 depending on where you purchase it. This one has 52" blades. This one is a very traditional styled ceiling fan.
- All Hunter ceiling fans are really quiet and this one is no exception
- The light uses two 60 watt candelabra incandescent bulbs which come with this fan
- It switches on and off using a pull chain
- It does have a reversible motor is capable of running in reverse
- Suitable for indoors only
No 5 Choice - Hunter 53237 Builder Plus 52-Inch Ceiling Fan with Five Brazilian Cherry/Harvest Mahogany Blades and Swirled Marble Glass Light Kit, Brushed Nickel
As you can see this is the third option on the list from the Hunter brand. These are very popular as they are the most affordable brand who deliver quiet and good quality ceiling fans.
- Can be installed with or without the light fixture
- If installed the light uses three 60 watt candelabra bulbs which are included
- The motor is reversible
- Very quiet and wobble free
- Comes with an Installer's Choice three position mounting system allows for standard, low or angled mounting
- Has 3 fan speeds (high, medium, low)
- Operates with a pull chain
- The light bowl is made from swirled marble glass
- Comes with a limited lifetime motor warranty
No 6 Choice - Honeywell Sabal Palm 52-Inch Tropical Ceiling Fan with Sunset Bowl Light, Five Hand Carved Wooden Leaf Blades, Lindenwood/Basswood, Bronze
Most buyers will be familiar with the Honeywell brand and they are very well know for making air conditioners, heaters and fans. This is one of their best selling products with an average price of around $125-170
- This fan has a bronze finish with a beautiful, tuscan sand glass bowl light
- It comes with 3 x 40 watt bulbs
- The leaf shaped blades are hand carved made from beautiful basswood ; 12 Degree Blade Pitch
- The motor is quiet and reversible
- It has 3 speeds
- This ceiling fan can be conveniently mounted with a downrod (4" included), angled mount and close-mount.
- There is a limited manufacturer's warranty
No 7 Choice - Portage Bay 50251 Hugger 52" Matte Black West Hill Ceiling Fan with Bowl Light Kit
This ceiling fan is the cheapest on our list, and yet as you can see gets very good and strong buyer satisfaction ratings. This one is priced at just under $70 but always check exact prices before buying as they do change frequently.
It is available in either black, white or brushed nickel
- 5 reversible blades with 12 degree Pitch
- It has a 3 speed, reversible motor
- This is a low-profile 52 in. Hugger ceiling Fan for flush-mount installations
- The blade type is reversible
- It has an opal frosted dome light fixture provides illumination.
- Ideal for most interior rooms up to 20 ft. X 20 ft. Led bulbs included also compatible with CFL bulbs.
- Comes with a limited lifetime motor warranty
No 8 Choice - Hunter 59244 Dempsey Low Profile Fresh White Ceiling Fan With Light & Remote, 44 Inch
This ceiling fan is the last Hunter fan on our list. Like the others this one remains affordable and also gets great reviews.
- This is a very quiet fan
- It has a reversible motor that allows you to change the direction of your fan
- This is for indoor use only
- It has a low profile housing is specially designed to fit flush to the ceiling and is ideal for use in rooms with low ceilings
- This one does have a remote control
- It also has an integrated light kit with Cased White glass, Two 9.8W LED bulbs included
- The motor has a limited lifetime warranty
No 9 Choice - Westinghouse 7801665 Comet 52-Inch Matte Black Indoor Ceiling Fan, Light Kit with Frosted Glass
This ceiling fan is from the Westinghouse brand and remains a very popular choice for many buyers. This is a very traditional style of ceiling fan. It is available in black, white, and brushed pewter.
- Ideal for rooms up to 400 square feet (20 feet by 20 feet)with standard 8-foot ceilings
- It has 5 reversible blades
- It also has a light kit with frosted glass includes two 40-watt torpedo candelabra base bulbs
- The motor is quiet and powerful
- It also has a reverse function
- It has a dual mount installation
- Comes with a lifetime motor warranty, two-year warranty on all other parts.
No 10 Choice - Minka-Aire F844-DK Light Wave 52" Ceiling Fan, Distressed Koa with Remote Control
This ceiling fan is from Mnka Aire and comes with a warm light which can be dimmed.
- This is a 3 blade fan
- The LED light kit provides a warm, dimmable, bright light
- It comes with a remote control that allows for three-speed control as well as full-range light dimming.
- It is also reversible
- It comes with a six-inch down rod to hang from most ceilings under 10feet.
- Larger downrods are available for purchase separately.
How To Assemble and Install A Ceiling Fan
Here is a really good video on how to assemble and install a typical ceiling fan with a light.